This post is one of those post that is born out of the need to answer a particular question over and over again on this website. Each time some asks what are the documents required for us visitor visa or what are the documents required for a US tourist visa, i give them the same answer. So here is the answer for all those that have this same question?
Official documents required for US visitor visa – From the government website.
The best place to get an up-to-date information about US visitor visa is from the US immigration department. You can find a list of the required document for US tourist visa by visiting – https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visitor.html
In addition to visiting this website, I will suggest that you navigate from the webpage above to your country specific webpage. I have discovered that the visa office in each country may require a slightly different list of documents. Always check the website for your country to confirm that you have the updated list of required documents. Here is a link that will help you find the website for the US Embassy in your country. https://www.usembassy.gov/
Mandatory Documents required for us tourist visa – All classes of Applicants (B1/B2)
- Valid International Passport – Make sure you visa is still valid for at least 6 months after the date you pan to leave the USA after your visit. This means that if you plan to visit the USA from July 1st – July 30th, then your passport should be valid till at least December of that year. If you have Old Passports with visas on them, carry them along with you to the interview.
- Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page – When you fill out the DS-160, you get a confirmation page at the end of the process. You will need to print a copy of it and bring it with you to your visa interview.
- Application Fee Payment Receipt – If you are required to make payment before your interview, then you need to take the receipt with you. In other countries you may need to go to the interview with a Bank Draft.
- Photo – You will need to upload a soft copy of your photo. So get it ready and print a copy to take with you to the interview.
- Copy of the Visa Interview Appointment Letter
In addition to the mandatory documents, you may also need some documents to support the claims you made in your application form. Here are some of the documents you may need to prepare. Documents that show the following:
- The purpose of your trip – Although an invitation letter is not mandatory, it is a good document to show the purpose of your trip. If you are going to visit a friend or family, a letter from them is an obvious proof of the purpose of your trip. You may also prepare a document from a tourism company showing the list of places you plan on visiting. A booking of the hotels or places you plan on staying (DO NOT MAKE PAYMENTS to these hotels).
- Your intent to depart the United States after your trip – These are documents that show your ties to your home country. Birth certificates of your children, Letters from your employer showing that you are on vacation and all other documents that shows that you plan on returning to your home country immediately after your visit to the USA.
- Your ability to pay all costs of the trip – You should prepare your bank statement, pay slips and business documents to show that you have the ability to pay for the trip. If you will be sponsored partially or fully by your host, then you will need those documents from your host. Take note however that if you are being fully sponsored, it will be difficult for you to show that you will return to your home country after your visit.
How do I know which Document to take to the visa interview or not?
The rule of thumb is to take all documents that you think will be helpful to you. However do not bring out any document that the visa officer does not ask for. If you volunteer too much information, you may not have documents on you to support those claims. Now that you know the documents required for a US tourist visa, you can start preparing.
I hope this page has answered your questions. If you need a more comprehensive document in PDF format that you can print out or read on your mobile device to prepare you for a visa interview, then visit our page on visa interview help.
If you prefer to scout the internet to compile your own resources. Here is a list of visa interview questions for B2 Visa
Make this page richer. Add your suggestions of documents required for a US visitor visa. Leave a comment or ask a question.