Last updated on October 1st, 2018 at 04:53 am
What is an Employment reference letter for Canada immigration?
Canada’s federal Express Entry system, allows skilled workers apply and immigrate to Canada if their application is approved. To be eligible for most Canadian economic immigration programs, you need to have some work experience. Preferably, the work experience needs to be ‘skilled’ – meaning it should be classified as NOC Skill Level 0, A, or B. The National Occupational Classification or NOC system, assigns a four digit code and job description for every occupation that is available in the Canadian labor market. It is a nationally recognized and standardized system that Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) uses to evaluate your work. One of the key documents you will need to support your application is an employment reference letter.
To be clear, an employment reference letter for Canadian immigration is not the same kind of reference letter you use when you’re applying for a job for example. This kind of reference letter needs to verify that you worked for an employer for the amount of time you claimed to, and that your position matches the NOC code you’ve chosen.
When applying to Canada for immigration purposes, you will need to choose an NOC code in your application. Choosing the right National Occupational Classification (NOC) code will be one of the most important parts of your immigration application and right NOC code can decide whether your application will be successful or not. If you claim an NOC code that does not actually match your work experience, your application will be refused or returned to you. Processing officers reviewing your application will not ask you for clarification, or to choose the right code. You should ensure that your NOC code matches your work experience, and that you have documentation to prove it (i.e employment reference letter).
How do you prove you have the right kind of work experience?
Every NOC code has an associated job title, lead statement, and list of major duties and responsibilities. When choosing your NOC code for immigration purposes, your actual job title and education are not as important. Your work experience is and has to match the lead statement. You should have performed most of the duties and responsibilities listed. Because of that, your work experience might fall under a couple of different NOC codes, or your official job title might be associated with a NOC code that does not actually match your experience.
Here are a couple of Employee Reference Letters to guide you. Remember to print on company letterhead (that is, your employer’s letterhead).
(A subsidiary of the Alter-Mode Group)
52, Arena Way, Ikeja, Lagos.
satellitesolutions.com, Tel:(234) 817 655-4315
Canadian Deputy High Commission,
4 Anifowoshe St,
Victoria Island, Lagos.
July, 27, 2018.
Re: Employment Reference Letter.
We are writing to you in response to your request for an Employee Reference Letter verifying the status of one Mr. Anthony Grange. Mr. Grange has been in our employ for a few years and we can attest to his soundness as an employee in the capacity in which he was worked with us. He has been with Satellite Solutions for three years, specifically since 2015. We would like to confirm that Anthony Grange has been employed with us full time as an Accountant since January 1, 2015 and his annual salary is currently $21,000. He started with the company as an Associate in the Accounts Department, and is now an Assistant Manager. In his capacity in the Accounting Department, he carries on the following responsibilities:
- Assists in overseeing the planning and organizing direct financial operations of the company;
- Summarizes current financial status by collecting information; preparing balance sheet, profit and loss statements and other reports;
- Substantiates financial transactions by auditing documents;
- Maintains accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures;
- Guides accounting clerical staff by coordinating activities and answering questions. Plans, develops and organizes company policies and procedures;
- Provides expertise in response to client needs, and support and advise project teams;
- Directs and advises staff in the development and implementation of service quality assessment strategies;
- Plans, administers and controls budgets for client projects, contracts, equipment and supplies;
- Represents the company within various economic and social organizations.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies.
- Assists staff with administrative or technical problems;
- Assists in the hiring and training of staff;
- Assists in establishing performance standards and preparing financial reports, in addition to other ancillary duties that may arise in fulfillment of his role.
- Mr. Grange also does a lot of travelling as his position requires him to oversee the different company branches across the country. He is ACA qualified (Association of Chartered Accountants). He is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales.
Kindly contact us if your office should require any further information.
Senior Vice President, Administration.
(A subsidiary of the Alter-Mode Group).
The High Commissioner,
High Commission of Canada,
13010G, Palm close, Diplomatic drive,
Central Business District Abuja.
P.O. Box 5144,
July 27th, 2018
Re: Employment Reference Letter for Amin John
This letter is to confirm that Amin John has been employed with us since January 25, 2017. Amin John is currently working with us as a Communications Analyst in our organization. His annual salary is $23,200. He has been in our employ in a full time capacity for the duration of his employment.
While at the company, Mr. Doe’s job duties included the following:
- Gathering information from users, customers, and business or marketing strategists.
- Responsible for maintaining a systems network by monitoring performance and making changes based on data size or user quantity requirements.
- Using modeling techniques to plan new systems or identify complications in existing ones.
- Responsible for integrating e-mail, and telephone applications, as well as installing the servers, routers, modems, or drivers required for these systems.
- Responsible for training users in any new procedures related to systems changes.
- Research and recommend network and data communications hardware and software.
You may contact us using the following details if you need additional information or verification.
Head, Information and Communications Dept.
Maze Services Ltd.
Phone: (234) 559 2855 8900
Feel free to add in additional details that are peculiar to your work as you deem fit. This will give a more robust view of your job.
Be sure to have your employer sign the document before submitting. Also, It is important to understand that if you have experience working in a couple of different industries or positions, each of your past work experiences has its own NOC code. For immigration purposes, you generally have to claim a primary NOC code as well as NOC codes for each of your past positions.